To ensure that you know how to reduce your risks and meet your board obligations, you should educate yourself. Whether you currently sit on a board or aspire to, a robust understanding of good governance is essential. The best way to show your commitment to good governance, and to help you get appointed, is by gaining a recognised qualification.
The Governance Institute of Australia – Your first choice
The Governance Institute of Australia is the only independent professional association with the sole focus of the practice of governance. They provide the only education pathway that can lead to membership of both the Governance Institute of Australia and the International Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA).
Six reasons to get a governance qualification
- It demonstrates your commitment to serve on a board
- Regardless of your board experience, governance training is likely to teach you something new
- It may refresh and formalise what you may already know
- It will make you a more appointable board candidate – separating you from others who don’t have governance qualifications.
- You will access a strong network of aspiring and experienced board members
- Your qualification will form an important part of your personal brand and non-executive board pitch
Three Governance Qualifications to choose from
1. Effective Director CourseExploring the role of the company director and the board’s vital contribution towards organisational culture and sustainable governance, the Effective Directors Course draws on theory, practice, and the collective knowledge of the participants to simulate the boardroom experience. The course is designed for:
- aspiring or newly appointed directors
- executives seeking director transition pathways
- directors wanting to refine their skills
- those needing to better understand the role and responsibilities of a director.
2. Post Graduate Study
Accelerate your career with Australia’s leading postgraduate courses in governance and risk management with either a: Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance and Risk Management or a Graduate Certificate of Applied Corporate Governance and Risk Management. This qualification offers:
- flexible — study online, face-to-face or via our intensive study program
- accredited by TEQSA
- taught by expert industry-leading practitioners
- a pathway to membership with Governance Institute of Australia
- recognised as prior learning with many universities in selected courses.
In addition you qualify as a Company Secretary – another reason for you to be appointed to a board.
3. Governance Certificates
These short courses are taught by industry-leading practitioners and are half-day duration. They are available as face-to-face tutorials or online and you can ‘mix and match’ your modes of study to suit you. Complete six short courses to complete a Certificate or simply top up your skills with a course that will help you excel in your role and get appointed.
- Certificate in Governance Practice
- Certificate in Governance and Risk Management
- Certificate in Governance for Not-for-Profits
- One of 11 Postgraduate Education subjects