Board Direction, on behalf of the Youturn is seeking to appoint up to two (2) Non-Executive Directors (NEDs).
Youturn is a not-for-profit organisation proud of its heritage and the broad range of programs and services they offer the community. They provide a range of services that deliver on their mission to support people in a time of need to live a healthy and meaningful life. The majority of services Youturn delivers are across South East Queensland but also from 15 work locations nationally. Their StandBy Support After Suicide program provides support in every state and territory in Australia.
Youturn continues to pave progress towards its goals. They rely upon the collaboration and support from government, organisations, agencies, businesses, supportive communities and individual financial support in order to deliver consistent and sustainable outcomes. With a broad reach, professional staff and a passionate and experienced board, they leverage their healthy financials and a $30M turnover; their focus today and for the future is to support people to:
- Secure a safe and affordable place to live.
- Flourish and experience high mental wellbeing.
For more information about Youturn and its board members, visit: https://youturn.org.au/
The Board and Executive Team
Youturn has an experienced skills-based Board of Directors who govern the organisation and provide guidance, knowledge and expertise to the CEO and Executive Team.
Dr Tanya Bell was appointed as CEO in 2021, though she has worked at Youturn for over 5 years work. Tanya is supported by an executive team and board who together bring a wealth of experience, extensive skills and passion for the services and support they oversee and deliver.
Youturn’s mission is to: support vulnerable people in their times of need to live a healthy and meaningful life. Historically, they achieved this by focusing on the following areas:
- Child Safety
- Suicide Prevention
However, Youturn is now at a critical point in its journey with the operation of services across multiple states and territories for the first time in its 32-year history. The growth outside of Queensland, with their national StandBy Support After Suicide program, has seen them adapt and develop their business processes as well as increase their focus on attraction and retention of a skilled and specialised workforce.
As such, as they look to the future and continue to expand, they require new NEDs to:
- guide and govern this transformation and growth.;
- ensure that their purpose remains firmly on supporting vulnerable people
- help map their new direction towards supporting more people in the areas of Housing/Homelessness and Mental Health /Suicide Prevention.
Up to two Non-Executive Director positions have become available on the Board. This represents a significant opportunity for experienced Directors to join an established and highly successful, and commercially minded organisation that has the resources and appetite to ‘take big swings to find solutions to wicked community problems’.
The successful candidates must be able to provide evidence of success in the following essential criteria:
1. Non-Executive Experience: Prior governance and non-executive director experience are essential. (Preference will be given to those who can evidence serving on boards of organisations at a similar scope and scale.)
2. Skills and Experience: Evidence of utilising at least ONE of the following skills and experience at board level:
- Mental Health – Clinical experience is particularly valuable.
- Housing/Homelessness – experience working with Community Housing Providers or Property Development.
- Finance & Investment.
- HR / Change Management.
(In all cases, preference will be given to candidates who can evidence having a commercial perspective and who have used their skills and experience on the board of organisations of a similar scope and scale to Youturn.)
3. Passion & Fit: Evidence of having an understanding of, or lived experience, in the sectors Youturn operate.
4. Networks and Relationships: Evidence of having worked with Government, or with organisations that work closely with government. (Preference will be given to those who have worked with a Community NfP funded by Government).
In addition to the above, the following elements are desirable:
- Diversity: We encourage applications from people of all ages, nationalities, abilities and cultures – including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the LGBTQI+ community and people living with a disability.
- Governance: A governance qualification is preferred but not required.
Location, Remuneration & Timings
Candidate Location: Successful candidates can be located anywhere in Australia.
Board Meetings: Held monthly, primarily virtually by MS Teams. In-person attendance (Noosa, QLD) at the AGM and Strategy Planning Weekends is also required (expenses paid).
Remuneration: These appointments are voluntary; however, expenses are paid, and a generous training budget is allocated to board members.
- Applications due – 10:00am Thursday 6th April 2023
- Applications reviewed – wc Monday 3rd April 2023
- Candidate interviews – Wednesday 12 & Thursday 13 April
- Directors Commence – April/May 2023
* Anticipated timeframe based on board and candidate availability.
You MUST complete and submit the form below and attach your Board CV prior to 10am Thursday, 6th April 2023.
For questions or to arrange a confidential discussion about these roles, please email ua.mo1701627983c.noi1701627983tceri1701627983ddrao1701627983b@tca1701627983tnoc1701627983.
APPLY USING THE FORM BELOW
Applications for the position have now closed.