Baseball Victoria: Recently celebrating 125 years of organised sport in Victoria, Baseball is one of Australia’s & Victoria’s oldest and most established sports. Baseball Victoria has over 5,000 registered players (Australia boasts 54,000!) and hosts Summer and Winter competitions across the State with many clubs older than their peers in the AFL.
Opportunity: Due to the retirement of a current director and recognising the need for new skills to meet their goals, Baseball Victoria is seeking two (2) non executive directors with expertise at a Board level. For the right candidates these opportunities offer the opportunity to contribute to an organisation with tremendous potential. Further, as a board member you will have the opportunity to attend all ABL games and potentially future national events – such as touring MLB games (previously played at the SCG). This is an exciting time to join the board.
Background: After a period of financial and operational consolidation, with strong support for the Melbourne Aces and with the financial support of Baseball Australia and Government grants Baseball Victoria is generating a financial surplus. As such they are entering a new and exciting phase including:
- The recent announcement of a new CEO – Justin Huber who played Major League Baseball (MLB) overseas and was the GM of Victoria’s Melbourne Aces Baseball team.
- The bringing together under one roof the management of the Melbourne Aces and Baseball Victoria.
- Exhibiting (as led by Baseball Australia) Baseball in the Tokyo 2020 and the 2024 Olympics before full registration as an Olympic sport
The Board: The Board is led by an established Chair/President who is also a senior sporting executive and high profile CEO. The current board are a mix of skilled individuals – previous incumbents included: Past Olympians, Senior Sporting Executives and Seasoned Professionals. Details of the current board can be found here:
Job Description: This is a great opportunity for an established OR an aspiring Non Executive. The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for:
- Attending up to 12 formal board meetings annually (the majority should be attended in person)
- Chairing a sub-committee / working group (the majority should be attended in person)
- Utilising their: General skills and expertise at board level
- Driving strong governance outcomes
They will also likely:
- Have a passion for sport/physical activity – though not necessarily Baseball
- Want to support both high performance and grass-root activities
- Have a problem solving approach with a diplomatic and disciplined style
- Be able to utilise their networks and connections to support the organisation where possible
Person Specification: Baseball Victoria require applications from individuals with the following skills and experience:
- The requisite executive skills or experience could include:
- Broad skills or experience relevant to the board
- Law – preferably in a sporting setting but broader legal skills are valued
- Inclusion – with a focus on engagement and retention – high performance and grass-roots
- A demonstrable passion for board governance
- A demonstrable passion for supporting a sporting organisation or sport.
- Evidence of relationships and networks that might be utilised by the board.
Strong preference will be given to female candidates or applicants who can demonstrate the value of their diversity.
Time Commitment: The board meets formally up to 12 times a year. However, Directors are expected to Chair Sub-Committees/Working groups which are held in alternate months. A total of 12-18 meetings a year should therefore be expected.
Location: Meetings are currently held at Sports House, Melbourne Park or in Melbourne. Futures meetings may be held at Melbourne Ball Park – the home of the Melbourne Aces.
Remuneration: All expenses are covered and there is an opportunity to formalise your director skills through sponsored professional development.
Further information: For further information please direct all questions to: ua.mo1701626901c.noi1701626901tceri1701626901ddrao1701626901b@tca1701626901tnoc1701626901 or visit:
Not for you? You can view our other vacancies HERE
- To apply please complete the application form below.
- All applicants will have their applications acknowledged by Board Direction.
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified of next steps within 2 weeks of the closing date by Baseball Victoria.
- Unsuccessful candidates will likewise be notified of the outcome within two weeks of the closing date.
You must complete the form below and submit your Board CV prior to midnight FIRDAY 29TH SEPTEMBER 2017. All applications will be sent directly to our client and Board Direction for review. Confirmation of your submitted application will be displayed at the bottom of this page after you submit your details.
To avoid disappointment, we strongly suggest that, prior to completing the form below, you save all your responses to each criteria in a word document and then paste them directly into the relevant sections below. Upon submitting your form, you will receive notification of receipt – confirmation of which will be displayed at the bottom of this page after you submit your details. If you do not receive this within 24hrs please email ua.mo1701626901c.noi1701626901tceri1701626901ddrao1701626901b@tca1701626901tnoc1701626901
Oops! We could not locate your form.